E36: Amazing Studies Reveal Specific Links Between Depression & Gut Microorganisms
A microbe or micro-organism is an organism of microscopic size, which may exist in its single-celled form or as a colony of cells. In the human body, microorganisms make up the human microbiota, including the essential gut flora. The pathogens responsible for many infectious diseases are microbes and, as such, are the target of hygiene measures.
As per the study, We still don’t know much about how depression is caused on a biochemical level; research has indicated that genetics seem to only have a limited influence on the disease, for example. While there are treatments that can help some people, there are still millions of people with depression, and the disorder continues to be a leading cause of disability and mortality.
E9: Clinical Mgt of Rape and Partner Violence, Survivor's Medical Care Rights #GBV – AfyaTalk Podcast
Previous studies on depression and the microbiome have been small, done in animals, or have come to some conflicting conclusions, noted a new report in Nature Communications. This new research has expanded what we know about the gut microbiome and depression by taking a more careful approach; although this new work did not control for diet, which can be extremely difficult in human studies, it did control for medication use and lifestyle factors like exercise, weight, smoking, or drinking.
It was published with an accompanying study that investigated the microbiomes of a more diverse population as well. Data from 1,054 participants was used to find associations, which were then validated in another 1,539 individuals.
The research has shown that the microbiome and depression are connected, and that the composition of the microbiome is linked to the rates of depression in different ethnic groups. Data from the HELIUS study, which included 3,211 people, was used.
Microbiomes that lack certain species of bacteria, have fewer bacterial species in general – they are less diverse, were linked to a higher risk of depression or more symptoms of depression. This link was as statistically significant as other depression risk factors such as obesity, smoking, or a lack of exercise. While this research has not shown that factors in the microbiome cause depression, it has suggested that it may be possible to treat depression by modifying the microbiome.
The research revealed a consistent connection between depression and twelve bacterial groups, which all play a role in the production of neurotransmitters that have been related to depression, such as butyrate, glutamate, serotonin, and GABA.
“Now that we know which disturbances in the microbiome are significant for depression, this opens up new possibilities for treatment and prevention. Which is urgently needed,” said Anja Lok, a senior author of one of the studies and researcher at Amsterdam UMC.
“The substantial ethnic differences in depression do indeed appear to be related to ethnic differences in the microbiome. We don’t know exactly why this is yet,” noted a corresponding author of one of the studies, Jos Bosch, a researcher from the University of Amsterdam. “This association was not caused by differences in lifestyle such as smoking, drinking, weight or exercise, and merits further investigation. For example, diet could play a role.”
We make you more informed about your health.
- Fecal occult blood testThis test examines blood that you can’t be seen with the naked eye in the stool sample. Blood in your stool means there is bleeding in the digestive tract and could signify other diseases and conditions;
- E44: Epilepsy and Seizures Key Symptoms, Risk Factors and ComplicationsEpilepsy is a central nervous system (neurological) disorder in which brain activity becomes abnormal, causing seizures or periods
- E43: Fact- That Blue Pill Was Never Meant For Erection. See EffectsThe discovery that sildenafil could lead to an erection wasn’t exactly a planned event. Like any drug with a side effect, The “sex pill” was originally developed by Pfizer for the treatment of…
- E42: Warning Symptoms of Cervical Cancer Every Woman Should KnowCervical cancer is one of leading cause of cancer deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Early detection of disease and screening is advised for women in all ages. Here is what you should know.
- E41: Amazing- Can Cannabis Relieve Pain or It’s Just a Myth PlaceboNumerous studies have been conducted over the years as to the medicinal benefits of cannabis. Can the effect of this substance relieve pain in the body or just a placebo. Here the study shows all…
- E40: What They Lied To You About Gonorrhea. Amazing Fact CheckGonorrhea is caused by a diplococci gram negative bacterium called Neisseria gonorrhea. This is among one of the infectious pathogens that are transmitted sexually. How accurate are you informed about Gonorrhea. You may be wrong!