A microbe or micro-organism is an organism of microscopic size, which may exist in its single-celled form or as a colony of cells. In the human body, microorganisms make up the human microbiota, including the essential gut flora. The pathogens responsible for many infectious diseases are microbes and, as such, are the target of hygiene measures.
As per the study, We still don’t know much about how depression is caused on a biochemical level; research has indicated that genetics seem to only have a limited influence on the disease, for example. While there are treatments that can help some people, there are still millions of people with depression, and the disorder continues to be a leading cause of disability and mortality.
E8: Maternal Health: Anemia in Pregnancy Effects to the Mother and Baby. – AfyaTalk Podcast
Previous studies on depression and the microbiome have been small, done in animals, or have come to some conflicting conclusions, noted a new report in Nature Communications. This new research has expanded what we know about the gut microbiome and depression by taking a more careful approach; although this new work did not control for diet, which can be extremely difficult in human studies, it did control for medication use and lifestyle factors like exercise, weight, smoking, or drinking.
It was published with an accompanying study that investigated the microbiomes of a more diverse population as well. Data from 1,054 participants was used to find associations, which were then validated in another 1,539 individuals.
The research has shown that the microbiome and depression are connected, and that the composition of the microbiome is linked to the rates of depression in different ethnic groups. Data from the HELIUS study, which included 3,211 people, was used.
Microbiomes that lack certain species of bacteria, have fewer bacterial species in general – they are less diverse, were linked to a higher risk of depression or more symptoms of depression. This link was as statistically significant as other depression risk factors such as obesity, smoking, or a lack of exercise. While this research has not shown that factors in the microbiome cause depression, it has suggested that it may be possible to treat depression by modifying the microbiome.
The research revealed a consistent connection between depression and twelve bacterial groups, which all play a role in the production of neurotransmitters that have been related to depression, such as butyrate, glutamate, serotonin, and GABA.
“Now that we know which disturbances in the microbiome are significant for depression, this opens up new possibilities for treatment and prevention. Which is urgently needed,” said Anja Lok, a senior author of one of the studies and researcher at Amsterdam UMC.
“The substantial ethnic differences in depression do indeed appear to be related to ethnic differences in the microbiome. We don’t know exactly why this is yet,” noted a corresponding author of one of the studies, Jos Bosch, a researcher from the University of Amsterdam. “This association was not caused by differences in lifestyle such as smoking, drinking, weight or exercise, and merits further investigation. For example, diet could play a role.”
We make you more informed about your health.
- E41: Amazing- Can Cannabis Relieve Pain or It’s Just a Myth PlaceboNumerous studies have been conducted over the years as to the medicinal benefits of cannabis. Can the effect of this substance relieve pain in the body or just a placebo. Here the study shows all…
- E40: What They Lied To You About Gonorrhea. Amazing Fact CheckGonorrhea is caused by a diplococci gram negative bacterium called Neisseria gonorrhea. This is among one of the infectious pathogens that are transmitted sexually. How accurate are you informed about Gonorrhea. You may be wrong!
- E39: Can Allergy Associated Asthma Be Treated? See ManagementAsthma as episodic reversible airway obstruction increased bronchial reactivity, and airway inflammation can respond to medication. Just depending on how you understand the etiological allergen.
- E38: Is Low Potassium Level Fatal To Heart & Nerves?Hypokalemia or low potassium level than normal in the body is due to many causes among common of them being prolonged diarrhoea, vomiting, excess alcohol etc. Since potassium is vital for nerve and heart muscles, deficiency leads need immediate medical attention. Do you experience the following signs and symptoms?
- E37: Surprising Data -Are Most Adults Unware That Alcohol Increases Cancer Risk?The frequency and type of alcohol consumed range from an occasional treat to a regular excess. While these statistics suggest alcohol consumption is common, results from a new survey indicate that awareness of alcohol’s role in cancer risk is uncommon. Here is what you need to know…
- E36: Amazing Studies Reveal Specific Links Between Depression & Gut MicroorganismsTrillions of microbes live in our gastrointestinal tracts, and they are thought to exert a powerful influence on various aspects of human biology, including mood. Studies have shown that there are associations between certain aspects of the gut microbiome and depression.